Toledo Transmission Operations was founded in Toledo in 1916. Plant employees produced truck transfer cases and transmissions for four- and six-wheel-drive military trucks throughout World War II. Today, team members proudly manufacture and assemble GM’s six-speed and eight-speed rear-wheel-drive and six-speed front-wheel-drive transmissions that are used in a variety of Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles. Historically, the plant has a long-standing reputation of quality, productivity and performance. Hourly employees are represented by UAW Local 14.
General Motors began operations in Toledo, Ohio, in 1916; the Chevrolet Motor Division directed original operations. GM purchased the current property in 1956 and, after halting operations at the Central Avenue site, opened for business in 1957.
GM has invested or will invest more than $1 billion in the plant since 2011.
- $204 million (2011) – 8-speed transmission program
- $83 million (2011) – 6-speed transmission enhancement
- $55.7 million (2013) – increased capacity and tooling for all-new 8-speed and existing 6-speed transmission programs
- $30.6 million (2013) – increased 6-speed capacity and tooling
- $667.6 million (2016) – future product programs